FLUID MECHANICS AND FLUID MACHINES:-
Fluid is a substance which is capable of flowing under the action of shear force ,however small is the shear force.
scope of fluid mechanics:
- designing of ships
- working of pumps,compressors
Classification of fluids:
Properties of Fluids:
1.DENSITY OR MASS DENSITY (ρ):
- density is defined as the ratio of mass of fluid to its volume
- ρ(rho) =mass of fluid(kg) / Volume of fluid ( m3)
- ρ of water is 1000 kg/m 3
- ρ of mercury is 13600 kg/m 3
- Dimentional Analysis = ML-3
- it is an absolute quantity i.e it does not change from place to place.
2. SPECIFIC WEIGHT (w):
- specific weight is defined as the ratio of weight per unit volume
- specific weight(w) = weight of fluid (N) / volume of fluid (m 3)
- w= ρ * g.
- w of water is 9810 N/m 3
- Dimentional Analysis = ML-2 T-2